Take the Pledge to Vote Today!
Rock the Vote Canada - Upcoming Elections

Upcoming Elections

British Columbia
May 14, 2013
More Upcoming Elections
Rock the Vote Canada Blog

Rock the Vote Blog

Election time! Fall 2013 Edition!

More Recent Blog Posts

Voter FAQ

Have Some Questions? Here’s Some Answers!

Wanna vote? You can vote if you:

  • are a Canadian citizen
  • are at least 18 years old on election day
  • establish proof of identity and address (see question 1)

1) What identification do I need in order to vote?

To vote, you must prove your identity and address. You have three options:

OPTION 1: Show one original piece of identification with your photo, name and address. It must be issued by a government agency.


  • Driver’s License
  • Ontario Health Card (note: not all electors in Ontario will have card that contain photo, name and address)
  • Provincial/ Territorial Identification Card:
    • Newfoundland and Labrador
    • Prince Edward Island
    • Nova Scotia
    • New Brunswick
    • Manitoba
    • Alberta
    • British Columbia
    • Northwest Territories
    • Nunavut

OPTION 2: Show two original pieces of authorized identification. Both pieces must have your name and one must also have your address

Identity Cards

  • Health Card
  • Canadian Passport
  • Certificate of Canadian Citizenship (Citizenship Card)
  • Birth Certificate
  • Certificate of Indian Status (Status Card)
  • Social Insurance Number Card
  • Old Age Security Card
  • Student ID Card
  • Provincial/Territorial Identification Card
  • Liquor Identification Card
  • Hospital/Medical Clinic Card
  • Employee Card
  • Library Card
  • Canadian Forces Identity Card
  • Veterans Affairs Canada Health Card
  • CNIB ID Card
  • Firearm Possession and Acquisition Licence or Possession Only Licence
  • Fishing, Trapping or Hunting Licence
  • Outdoors or Wildlife Card/Licence
  • Hospital bracelet worn by residents of long-term care facilities
  • Parolee Identification Card

Original documents (with name and address)

  • Utility Bill (telephone, TV, public utilities commission, hydro, gas or water)
  • Bank/Credit Card Statement
  • Vehicle Ownership/Insurance
  • Correspondence issued by a school, college or university
  • Statement of Government Benefits (employment insurance, old age security, social assistance, disability support or child tax benefit)
  • Attestation of Residence issued by the responsible authority of a First Nations band or reserve
  • Government Cheque or Cheque Stub
  • Pension Plan Statement of Benefits, Contributions or Participation
  • Residential Lease/Mortgage Statement
  • Income/Property Tax Assessment Notice
  • Insurance Policy
  • Letter from a public curator, public guardian or public trustee
  • One of the following, issued by the responsible authority of a shelter, soup kitchen, student/senior residence, or long-term care facility: Attestation of Residence, Letter of Stay, Admission Form or Statement of Benefits


Take an oath and have an elector who knows you vouch for you. This person must have authorized identification and be from the same polling division as you. This person can only vouch for one person.

Examples: a neighbour, your roommate.

For more information on identification and vouching rules, contact Elections Canada at 1-800-463-6868.

Provincially contact your Provincial Elections organization

2) Am I registered to vote?


Most eligible voters are already registered to vote in the National Register of Electors, (the Register) a database of qualified Canadian electors. Elections Canada continually updates the Register using information from income tax forms, citizenship applications, drivers license records, provincial permanent voters lists and other sources.

So basically if you have a driver’s license or pay taxes you are registered to vote.

To check if you are registered federally, call Elections Canada at 1-800-463-6868.


For provincial registration each province has a slightly different registration system. Contact your provincial elections organization.

3) How do I register to vote?

During an election, if you are not already on the voters list you can still register on election day if you prove your identity and address.

You can also register in person on any of the advance voting days, which are announced during the election.

You can register to vote at anytime during or outside of a federal election by calling 1-800-INFO VOTE . http://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=cont&lang=e

Provincially you can register through your provincial elections organization.

Although you can always register when you vote, the process is a lot faster if you are registered ahead of time!

4) What happens if you live on or off campus as a post secondary student?

During an election, you may find yourself living away from your family’s home. You may wish to vote for a candidate in the electoral district where you live while attending college or university or you may want to vote for a candidate in the electoral district where you live while not attending school.

You are given the opportunity to decide which residence you consider to be your principal residence. Regardless of which residential address you choose, all voting options, including voting by special ballot, are available to you. The address you vote with must be displayed on your ID at registration.

Have a question not answered here? Send it to us and we will get you an answer!

Also check out Elections Canada’s FAQs for votes page here http://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=vot&dir=faq&document=index&lang=e


Nous travaillons sur notre material Francais. Merci pour votre patience.

We are working on improving our French content. Thank you for your patience.